'A blatant attempt to silence your voice': Rosehill vote halted by Racing NSW

4 min read
A vote delayed. A membership divided. Racing NSW has stepped in to halt next week’s planned vote on the future of Rosehill Gardens, ordering the Australian Turf Club to pause proceedings amid mounting concerns over transparency. As tensions rise and legal threats emerge, the battle for Rosehill is far from over.

Cover image courtesy of Australian Turf Club

In a dramatic late intervention, Racing NSW has directed the Australian Turf Club to postpone its highly anticipated vote on the proposed sale of Rosehill Gardens, originally scheduled for next Thursday, April 3.

The decision, announced Friday afternoon, pushes the vote back to May 12 and comes amid escalating criticism from ATC members and industry participants, many of whom have voiced concern over a lack of transparency surrounding the $5 billion proposal.

“The potential sale of Rosehill racecourse represents a matter of significant strategic importance with long-term implications for the entire racing industry,” Racing NSW said in its statement.

“The potential sale of Rosehill racecourse represents a matter of significant strategic importance with long-term implications for the entire racing industry.” - Racing NSW

“It is essential that any such decision is made on the basis of full and accurate information.”

The ATC confirmed it would comply with the directive, citing its legal obligation under the Thoroughbred Racing Act 1996 and the Totalizator Act 1997.

“ATC Members will receive further information on the vote regarding Rosehill Gardens following further discussions with Racing NSW,” the Club said.

The Club has pledged to provide further detail “as soon as practically possible.” It is understood that current proxy nominations do not carry over and all votes will need to be re-submitted by members ahead of the new date.

Save Rosehill responds

The delay has triggered immediate backlash from anti-sale campaigners, most notably Save Rosehill, who are now seeking independent legal advice on whether Racing NSW has the authority to compel the ATC board to postpone the vote.

In a statement issued to members, campaign leader Julia Ritchie accused Racing NSW of undermining the democratic process:

“This last-minute directive is a blatant attempt to silence your voice – a desperate move that flies in the face of democratic process, and contradicts all prior statements made by the Premier in Parliament about the independence of the ATC and the rights of its members,” she wrote.

“This last-minute directive is a blatant attempt to silence your voice – a desperate move that flies in the face of democratic process, and contradicts all prior statements made by the Premier in Parliament about the independence of the ATC and the rights of its members.” - Julia Ritchie

Ritchie claimed that the majority of members had already voted against the sale and criticised the ATC’s leadership throughout the process, particularly Chairman Peter McGauran. The group is continuing its campaign to remove McGauran as a director and is encouraging members to sign a petition calling for his dismissal.

“Even in the absence of full transparency or detailed planning documents, members overwhelmingly recognised what’s at stake – not just the loss of a racecourse, but a betrayal of everything Rosehill represents to the racing community,” the statement read.

“The widespread belief that Racing NSW would ultimately control the proceeds – just as they are now attempting to control the vote itself – has only deepened our conviction this whole process is a sham.”

Julia Ritchie | Image courtesy of Australian Turf Club

Pressure mounts for greater transparency

The move is the latest twist in what has become a highly charged and legalistic process. The ATC’s proposal to sell Rosehill Gardens has stirred deep divisions within the membership, with critics claiming a lack of transparency and detail surrounding the transaction—particularly around financial modelling and the long-term implications for racing infrastructure.

Racing NSW has now publicly echoed those concerns, stating that “the information that has been provided by the ATC is insufficient to enable (members) to make a properly informed decision.” The regulator also described the sale as “a matter of significant strategic importance with long-term implications for the entire racing industry,” underscoring the need for greater clarity before any vote proceeds.

Chris Minns | Image courtesy of NSW Labor

The NSW Government, widely believed to be the intended purchaser of the site, has distanced itself from any coercive role in the process. Premier Chris Minns told Parliament this week that the government would not forcibly acquire Rosehill if members rejected the proposal.

“It would be on the table for us to compulsorily acquire the course… but we are not doing that,” Minns said.

“We made it clear from the very beginning that this must be led by ATC members. They have to make the decision on it, and we will live with the consequences.”

With the vote now delayed, all eyes turn to what additional information the ATC and Racing NSW will provide - and whether the rising tide of opposition can be stemmed ahead of May 12.

Rosehill Gardens